To the butt hurt girl that reblogged that,
1) I am from the UK, where we have this:
The Equal Pay Act 1970 is an Act of the United Kingdom Parliament which prohibits any less favourable treatment between men and women in terms of pay and conditions of employment. It was passed by Parliament in the aftermath of the 1968 Ford sewing machinists strike and came into force on 29 December 1975. The term pay is interpreted in a broad sense to include, on top of wages, things like holidays, pension rights, company perks and some kinds of bonuses. The legislation has been amended on a number of recent occasions to incorporate a simplified approach underEuropean Union law that is common to all member states.
2) Men get sexually assaulted, and are victims of domestic violence as well as women, and a lot more of it goes unnoticed because men don’t tend to voice things as much, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.
3) Women can vote, get paid equally (in the UK where I’m speaking from), and have just as many rights and men. Yes, sports are predominantly male favoured, but that’s tradition, not because women aren’t ‘allowed’ to play them. Women’s sports are televised, the general public, though, are generally not interested. If they were and it was pushed, I’m sure they’d be publicised more widely.
4) The world will NEVER fully be equal because people will always find things to feel put down over, but gender equality has come an extremely long way, to the extent that it is ILLEGAL to discriminate due to gender in the workplace. There are ways women will always be inferior to men and vice versa, that’s nature and gender roles that have let our species survive and move forward, not everything can be the same.
5) I did say that was my OPINION, so excreting your ‘facts and figures’ didn’t do a lot, nor can it be disputed by what I have just said.
Boom boom pow, I am done.
P.s. If you wanna be paid more than a man, suck a dick for $$$$, women get paid SO much more than men, is that ‘equal’?
P.p.s. I am for equality, I am not for people feeling hard done by.
There are so many things wrong with this disgusting post, but let me try to address the biggies:
There are a lot of countries with equal pay legislation. Congrats that your country is one of them. But in case you weren’t aware, the Olympics includes athletes from all over the lovely planet and many of them don’t come from countries like yours. And even some who do might be able to tell you that such legislation doesn’t usually stop women from being paid significantly less than men for the same work.
As to your second point, of course men get sexually assaulted. But it occurs far less to men than it does to women (1 in 10 as opposed to 1 in 4). My point was not meant to invalidate the suffering of male victims but to point out that women are far more targeted in such a crime. Please tell me how that could possible in a society where gender-based oppression doesn’t exist? The stigma male victims experience is a result of harmful gender roles and stereotypes (they were unable to stop the assault from occurring and are therefore thought to be weak and compared to women, which is insulting) as a result of the patriarchal nature of society.
And women can vote! Gee, because that means that sexism doesn’t exist, right? You know, I was going to fight for my right to access basic healthcare like abortion and birth control (which are currently heavily restricted where I and many Olympic athletes hail from), but fuck. I forgot that we can vote. You sure showed me.
Women’s sports would be more watched if women were more appreciated for their accomplishments and physical strength and less for how they look or their sex appeal. And I promise you that if we stopped objectifying/degrading women and simultaneously gave female athletes more airtime, people would watch. Men getting more than 90% of airtime when it comes to sports isn’t “tradition,” it’s S-E-X-I-S-M.
But you know, your attitude is just lovely. “The world will NEVER fully be equal.” So why bother, right? What a piss-poor perspective. I’d also like to point out that your ideas about what is “natural” and what is socially constructed about gender are bullshit. Men and women, first of all, are not differentiated based on biology because genitals don’t determine your gender. But if we’re talking people with penises and people with vaginas (which also isn’t a mutually exclusive group, but for the sake of argument), you still don’t have it right. The perception that men are stronger/faster than women stems from the trend that boys are physically trained in sports from young ages with little exception whereas only girls who express interest in sports receive the same lifelong physical conditioning. Do some research.
And now I’ll address your concluding thoughts, which make even less fucking sense than the rest of this dribble.
You don’t get to say something that is just objectively false and defend it by calling it your opinion. You saying that “women are treated equal to men” is you having an incorrect and false perception of reality. It isn’t your opinion. And even if it was, you don’t have exemption from others critiquing or arguing with your opinion. So stop with the “but it’s just my opinion!!!11!” bullshit.
And to top it all off, you decided to demean sex workers and slut shame! Good one! How respectful and mature of you!
TL;DR: You have no argument and you definitely don’t support equal rights if you think that female athletes receiving a little more airtime than the usual 2% during the Olympics is about women feeling “hard done by.”
Educate yourself about inequalities for athletes before you decide to make an ignorant post about it.